This project is read-only.

Targeting SandCastle, jsduck, or jsdoc-toolkit

Apr 16, 2012 at 7:54 PM
Edited Apr 16, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Hi, this project is a great idea and much needed for vsdoc-style API generation.

I took a look at the latest source. I even used it to generate some docs (using the current unit tests) in jsduck format. I noticed the SandCastle plugin was still in a very early state (i.e. stubbed out).

You seem to be so close to generating the XML doc format required by SandCastle, that I'm a little surprised you are considering targeting jsduck. If you could just get the XML doc format generated, then we could generate SandCastle docs today (even without the plugin finished yet).

IMO, jsduck feels way too Sencha-ish and immature. In addition to the XML doc format required by SandCastle, consider generating jsdoc format for use by the jsdoc-toolkit, which seems far more flexible an API generation format than jsduck since it has myriad templates already.

Nice work!

May 1, 2012 at 2:58 AM
Edited May 1, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Thanks for your comment, and sorry it's taken me so long to respond. You've got a point (or three).

Maybe SandScript will eventually target multiple formats including JSDoc. Or the JSDuck work may be spun off into it's own thing... not sure yet. Just so you know, I have focused on JSDuck because my organization has adopted the Ext JS framework, so it has my attention at the moment. You wont get any argument from me about its maturity ;)

Back to Sandcastle, I would welcome your help to get the XML generation across the line. Contact me if you're interested.